ch-scene - Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Thank Dennis, Isaac, Lauren, et al for Nightlight (was "nightlight website?")
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 06:15:20 -0700 (PDT)

--- Local 506 <local506 AT earthlink.net> wrote:
> Wow, getting chastised for actually buying music!
> So, now people
> shouldn't just buy CD's - but they should only buy
> them from a
> specific retailer, too. Try to convince all those
> downloaders of
> that...

Well, to be fair, you weren't being chastised for
buying music. You were being Chastised for buy the
PBR at best buy instead of the import at Local 506.
But don't listen to them. You never said people
should never buy PBR. You were saying that if once a
night they bought something more expensive, it would
help. And you never said you only buy cheap rekkids
from Best Buy. It's all good.

> I love the fact that admitting I've bought CD's at
> Best Buy creates
> the assumption I don't support the local retailers.
> A quick glance
> around my computer shows the new Belle & Sebastian
> CD from Schoolkids
> and the new Fall album from CD Alley...not to
> mentions scores of used
> CD's (B-52's Whammy, the last Holly Go Lightly, from
> each
> respectively.) There's few things I love more than
> scouring the used
> bins at CD Alley where I always find something to
> buy.

Oh, the USED BINS! Yeah, that's how local record
stores make their money. Why not just throw a quarter
in the gumball machine so Sean can pay to keep a 30
watt light bulb on for fifteen minutes?

;)

> And, for the record, CD Alley didn't lose a cent
> (unless they too are
> selling these new releases for $8.99) - as
> mentioned, I bought three
> albums I would not have paid much more for anywhere
> else. In fact, I
> could probably access the two Sony CD's on Rhapsody
> (which I
> whole-heartedly subscribe too.) Fuck, I could have
> just called my
> ex-employer and scored freebies now that I think of
> it. But I didn't,
> and that's the point. It was cheap enough that I
> didn't even think
> about other options (including burning or
> downloading.)

You should have gone for the freebie. And given it to
me.

> I wish more labels, especially independent labels,
> also saw it this
> way. More importantly, I wish more local bands also
> thought this way.
> With as much music as there is out there, price
> becomes a huge
> selling point.

Yeah, but like running an independent record store,
the per record cost of recording, promotion,
distribution, etc is more expensive for smaller bands
than it is for artists on major labels. It's next to
impossible to make a dime as a local band with what
they charge now. And independent labels are almost
always cheaper than record stores when it comes to
prices. So I'm not sure where you are going with this
line of thought.

> PS: As far as my self-serving hipocrisy, I do see
> your points. But I
> don't think increasing a door price that has somehow
> avoided inflation
> should be considered overpaying. Or spending an
> extra buck and
> getting a decent beer instead of crappy PBR is
> overpaying (heck, I
> consider that a wise investment!) But paying four
> or five extra
> dollars for the exact same CD in order to avoid a
> certain retailer,
> that gets harder to justify.

It's not the least bit hard to justify. It's not hard
to justify making a statement with your dollars. Not
only am I willing to drive past the new Sam's Club to
get to Costco, but I'd still do it if I were spending
more money per item. And that's because I think WHERE
I spend my money is important. And even if it costs
more I would rather shop at a store that contributes
to the identity of where I live rather than taking
away from it. I still go to Best Buy from time to
time as there isn't a local XBox game dealer, and if I
see a super cheap record, I'll buy it. I still get
gift certificates for places like that. I don't stand
outside with picket signs. But if I go record
shopping, that's not where I'm going.

BTW, I was sharing your comments with some friends.
They said they would buy liquor drinks if they didn't
have to consume them out of those little cups. I say
you allow patrons to bring their own. Maybe have a
wall of fame where regulars can keep the glass of
their choice.

And I would pay an extra dollar for PBR.

Hep