ch-scene - Mayor and City Council get down and dirty Monday night

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: alex kostelnik <bd189 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Mayor and City Council get down and dirty Monday night
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 08:28:12 -0700 (PDT)

To all of you who came last night to City Council:

It was powerful. It meant so much to me to see you
all there.

It was such a weird mix- artists from all around the
triangle respectfully representing the community, and
the Mayor and City Council blatantly abusing their
offices in a public forum- right in front of us all.

Ths is an experience I will remember.

James H. is being _nice_ in his characterization of
the meeting. Believe me.

>written last night<

Mayor Bell got dirty on us tonight. He planned all
along to not let opponents of the Events Center talk.

And he purposely led us to stay four hours to tell us
that.

Since he knew the council would approve the four month
extension on the planning process, he did not _have_
to refuse public comment.

In short, the Mayor believes it was totally worth it
to insult the anti-events center constituency.

And he seems to think he can totally get away with
that.

Ah, what people do when they get a little power.

And Dianne Catotti!! Dammit I voted for her! I mean-
she got into office with the heavy help of the
people's alliance. Dirty game playing here. She sat
there like.. Duh.. totally playing the game and
letting us down- way down. She knew.

Here’s the speech I never gave.

-----------

Mr. Bell, Ms. Conner and members of City Council

These days access to the airwaves and concert venues
is more controlled than ever by Media giant Clear
Channel. Payola is the thing of the past- they do it
now legally and it’s business as usual.

So why are my tax dollars going to support this
monster that threatens the first amendment itself and
is an insult to the arts community?

If the City of Durham respected it’s own arts
community it would have asked them first about their
proposed Events Center. CC’s involvement in the
City’s management proposal is proof that we were
never asked.

The citizens and arts community of Durham does not
want the Events Center.

Residents of Durham are very touchy these days about
City Spending.

I would love to see the City try to get this proposal
to pass an open public process with a bonds vote. It
would never pass. That’s why the city is trying to
use Certificates of Participation. (COPs). These do
not require public approval.

The city is doing this on their own. I believe they
are about to bring another scandal down upon
themselves. They will have only their selves to
blame.

Remember what happened with the ballpark? This is
turning out to smell, look and taste the same.

-Alex Kostelnik
Artistic Director, The Scrap Exchange
North State Sound Studio
ABCD (Artist and Business Coalition of Downtown)
(www.abcdDurham.com)