ch-scene - Re: Mayor and City Council get down and dirty Monday night

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "Jason M. Sullivan" <jason AT krazykat.nc.rr.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Mayor and City Council get down and dirty Monday night
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:06:44 GMT

In article <ck6cc0hm5fpp0mb073dpecrrdsr34isvdf AT 4ax.com>, Phillip Grosshans
wrote:
> Drop the anti-Clear Channel rhetoric. Drop the "get the freaks out"
> and scare Bill Bell strategy. Focus on the money and risk issues. The
> kind of issues that a good old fashion Republican could embrace --
> limit spending. The kind of argument that I make with working class
> secretary people here at Duke -- they're going to spend your tax
> dollars on an Arts Center that even the arts community doesn't want
> and the you and I might end up paying for. Get your W-loving,
> God-and-Country types to get upset about it and get them to start
> writing the council. Then, you got a chance to stop this.

I totally agree with Phil here (not that I'm a Durham resident or
anything). Sure, Clear Channel is evil. Everyone knows that. Nobody
would be surprised to see a "grassroots" "Support The Troops" event at the
new downtown event center.

But that's not really the point.

Clear Channel is relevent (to this discussion) only insofar as they're an
out of state corporation that's willing to share in the profits but not in
the losses. They've also managed to squelch any other investigation of
other offers from other companies. It akes bad business sense for the city
to move forward on this.

What's more relavent is the studies of other such centers, and the
inability of the city to maintain already existing (and provably popular)
entertainment infrastructure.

Oh, and the fact that apparently Durham doesn't need a new venue.

And what's wrong with the new ballpark? That's arguably wildly successful.

--
//// Jason M. SULLIVAN jsullivan AT nc.rr.com
|c-oo http://www.jason0x21.org
\_- "That's not music, that's just sound!" - J. David Fries