ch-scene - Re: Mayor and City Council get down and dirty Monday night

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: alex kostelnik <bd189 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Mayor and City Council get down and dirty Monday night
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 21:18:43 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Phil

Don’t worry. No offense taken.

I think you will see that the issue is more rounded
out on our end than you think.

Your points are well made and well taken.

The CC issue, as I was harping on when I entered
onto the ch-scene list, was my way of introduction to
a music community. I felt it was particularly
relevant. It is not, however, the be-all end-all
subject you fear when I talk to the press or the City.

I think you may have had a larger than usual dose of
CC talk and it informed your perspective. The entire
Ch-scene list gets a CC heavy dose- I believe it is
not representative of the subject matter in the
ongoing larger community-wide dialogue.

I have spoken with several architects who take issue
in _that_ arena. (Excuse the pun.)

One of the best things the Mayor did last night is
to put the lack of transparency of this issue squarely
in his own lap. It will be in the papers tomorrow.
He did this himself without any of our help!

Nevertheless- yes- yes! Let’s open this thing up.
It's just beginning.

The city does not believe this proposed Events Center
can stand public scrutiny. That is the real "scoop".

They could not have made that point better than they
did last night at City Hall.

Let's talk about that.

Jeopardy question: "Pretend no public money will be
spent." The question, Alex is: "how can we make it so
the public does not feel empowered to speak out
against the Events Center?"

Give the proponents FOUR MORE MONTHS to complete
their reverse engineered feasibility study and at the
same time find an angle of attack on our opponents."
The question, Alex is: "My god- the natives are
restless and the are organizing! What do we do?"

Etc. etc.

I am eager to dig into the subject matter you
propose. Thank you for your e-mail. You obviously
spent some quality time on it.

-Alex K.