ch-scene - Re: Mayor and City Council get down and dirty Monday night

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Phillip Grosshans <phillipg AT NODAMNSPAM.duke.Spamfree.edu>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Mayor and City Council get down and dirty Monday night
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:06:47 -0400

Alex, my dear friend, (and others with a stake in this issue),

First, I appreciate how you and Caleb, and many others, have been
leading and organizing the fight against the performing arts center.
However, I'm concerned that Clear Channel has become too central in
the arguments against the center. I see Clear Channel as a dangerous
little red herring that too much of the community has been seduced by.

Clear Channel isn't the problem. The problem is that millions of tax
dollars are going to develop an Arts Center that no one seems to want.
It's not going to meet ADF's needs. Duke wants no part of it. Your
average citizen doesn't even know about it and probably doesn't want
it. The arts community seems to think it's misdirect money. The Durham
cultural map saw no need for it.

Yet, every time I talk to, or read something by, one of you who are
opposed to the Arts Center, the first thing I hear is something along
the lines of "Clear Channel is evil." Well, sure, they are.

But, doesn't that diminish the message? Doesn't it just make all of
us seem like a bunch of shrill, out-of-touch folks who don't at all
represent the "average" citizen -- we paint ourselves as elitists who
just don't like Clear Channel and mainstream culture? Doesn't it
allow Bell to justify silencing you? He can dismiss you as
malcontents that are simply misinformed about the project and opposed
to it only because of the hot-button name "Clear Channel." That
seemed to be the central message that the reporter for the N&O picked
up on <http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1305112p-7427366c.html>

I'd urge you to reconsider your rhetoric and your strategy. Frankly,
Alex, I was shocked to read your prepared comments and see that they
began by focusing on Clear Channel (your later comments about City
spending are much more germane). It seemed to be the complete
opposite of what we had discussed on Saturday in regards to that N&O
article.

The central argument that needs to be made is that this proposed
Center doesn't meet the needs of Durham. The study that the council
funded doesn't call for such a center
<http://www.durhamarts.org/pdf/Ch2_Facility_Inventory_Master_FNL.pdf>.
It calls for a small mixed use facility and a cooperative use facility
that meets the needs of ADF and others. That's an argument that can't
refute -- that their own planning study doesn't support it.

And , all of us need to work on getting the kind of people who love
Clear Channel programming to be opposed to this project. If the
Council can see that the planned audience/attendees don't want it,
then they'll reconsider. But, currently the City Council thinks that
the "average citizen" will attend events managed and booked by Clear
Channel. All of you that showed up last night don't matter anyway to
them; they don't think you will be patrons of the Center, so you don't
matter in their thinking.

Drop the anti-Clear Channel rhetoric. Drop the "get the freaks out"
and scare Bill Bell strategy. Focus on the money and risk issues. The
kind of issues that a good old fashion Republican could embrace --
limit spending. The kind of argument that I make with working class
secretary people here at Duke -- they're going to spend your tax
dollars on an Arts Center that even the arts community doesn't want
and the you and I might end up paying for. Get your W-loving,
God-and-Country types to get upset about it and get them to start
writing the council. Then, you got a chance to stop this.

I don't mean to criticize or insult anyone fighting the good fight
against the Center, especially as I'm guilty of missing the meeting
last night. But, I do think an inordinate amount of attention has
been lavished on "Clear Channel" in this fight, and I think your
arguments against the center will be stronger if you never mention
Clear Channel again.

-pg, my 2 cents