ch-scene - Re: Durham, NC: here comes Clear Channel

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Durham, NC: here comes Clear Channel
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:39:24 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gregor <gregorio_sb AT earthlink.net> wrote:
> jameshepler AT yahoo.com (James Hepler) wrote:
>

> >--- Gregor <gregorio_sb AT earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Sounds absolutely DREADFUL. If there were
> anybody
> >> not already
> >> horribly overworked at the local newspaper who
> would
> >> take a few
> >> moments to research it, the issues are right out
> >> there in the open for
> >> anyone to see.
> >
> >I don't know why everyone is in a huff about this.
> >mean, if they don't build this thing, how in the
> hell
> >are we going to get Puddle of Mudd to play Durham?
>
> I sure hope this is tongue in cheek! Why would we
> *want* Puddle of
> Mudd to play Durham at a venue with the prices we
> can expect Clear
> Channel to impose?
>
> I'm in a huff about *anything* funded with
> Certificates of
> Participation. That funding route suggests our
> elected officials
> either do not care to take the time to run the plan
> by the voters *or*
> want to take an end-run around a probable defeat at
> the polls for a
> bond issue. Any debt taken on by our elected
> officials should be for
> a better cause than guaranteeing profits for Clear
> Channel. BTW did
> you notice their take is guaranteed before the city
> gets a penny. No
> thanks!

OK, I was just joking about Puddle of Mudd.

I played a Clear Channel Venue in Minneapolis.
Underpromoted, way underattended, and all the bands
got paid a ton, both in beer and in cash. Seemed like
one of the worst conceived ideas ever.

Yes, it bothers me deeply that our elected officials
haven't been interested in the opinions of the people.
You could throw a rock in this area and likely hit
someone who has a great deal to offer in addressing
the issues that they're trying to address. Even if a
real need for such a venue were demonstrated, the last
people I would want running it would be Clearchannel.

BTW, what's up with the old DAP? Other than farmers
markets, is it still viable and safe as a performance
space? Who manages it?