ch-scene - Re: Durham, NC: here comes Clear Channel

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Durham, NC: here comes Clear Channel
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:19:59 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Jason M. Sullivan" <jason AT krazykat.nc.rr.com>
wrote:
> In article

<20040517195301.46693.qmail AT web40605.mail.yahoo.com>,
> James Hepler wrote:
> >
> > [...] how big is Disco Rodeo? That's a terrible
> performance space.
>
> Disco Rodeo used to have a shockingly bad website,
> but that seems to have
> vanished. At an eyeball's guess I'd say almost a
> thousand. It's similar
> in size to the Orange Peel in Asheville.
>
> Which brings to mind a question: Why does Disco
> Rodeo suck so much and the
> Orange Peel rule? They're similar sized venues, and
> (as a consumer of
> entertainment), I found the OP to be better b/c it
> was cleaner, easier to
> get around in, and sounded really good. They also
> seem to be getting
> stupendous shows. Why can't DR be like that?
> What's bad from the
> "Producer of Entertainment" side?

I've never liked the layout of the place. I mean,
it's a warehouse, right? Granted, it's been years
since I've seen a show there, so maybe it has
improved. But I found the whole facility lacking in
character. And the sound has always just bounced
around the room.