ch-scene - Re: Durham, NC: here comes Clear Channel

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: gregorio_sb AT earthlink.net (Gregor)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Durham, NC: here comes Clear Channel
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:44:15 GMT

jameshepler AT yahoo.com (James Hepler) wrote:

>--- Gregor <gregorio_sb AT earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Sounds absolutely DREADFUL. If there were anybody
>> not already
>> horribly overworked at the local newspaper who would
>> take a few
>> moments to research it, the issues are right out
>> there in the open for
>> anyone to see.
>
>I don't know why everyone is in a huff about this. I
>mean, if they don't build this thing, how in the hell
>are we going to get Puddle of Mudd to play Durham?

I sure hope this is tongue in cheek! Why would we *want* Puddle of
Mudd to play Durham at a venue with the prices we can expect Clear
Channel to impose?

I'm in a huff about *anything* funded with Certificates of
Participation. That funding route suggests our elected officials
either do not care to take the time to run the plan by the voters *or*
want to take an end-run around a probable defeat at the polls for a
bond issue. Any debt taken on by our elected officials should be for
a better cause than guaranteeing profits for Clear Channel. BTW did
you notice their take is guaranteed before the city gets a penny. No
thanks!