ch-scene - Re: Durham, NC: here comes Clear Channel

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: gregorio_sb AT earthlink.net (Gregor)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Durham, NC: here comes Clear Channel
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 04:40:47 GMT

info AT durhamloop.org wrote:

>Bendy wrote:
>>I wrote 'em the other day, and if you take the time to write them
>>personally, they take it seriously.
>
>Absolutely! Durham City Council is oblivious to the problems with Clear
>Channel. Please tell them we don't want the "Event Center" and Clear Channel
>in Durham!
>
>Mailto: council AT ci.durham.nc.us;mconner AT ci.durham.nc.us;info AT durhamloop.org
>Subject: OPPOSE Event Center & Clear Channel
>
>Also, if you have specific horror stories about Clear Channel in other
>towns, that info needs to come out now. For example, how Clear Channel
>destroyed local clubs, damaged local music community, local indy theater,
>etc. when they came into town. Durham City Council needs to know this too -
>they have no idea!

Check out clearchannelsucks.org for information. One of the articles
linked to at their site is

http://dir.salon.com/ent/clear_channel/2001/08/08/riverbend/index.html

Denver and Cincinnati are places that Clear Channel has pissed off a
LOT of people, using its radio stations and concert venues to team up
against local competitors.

Sounds absolutely DREADFUL. If there were anybody not already
horribly overworked at the local newspaper who would take a few
moments to research it, the issues are right out there in the open for
anyone to see.