ch-scene - Re: Durham, NC: here comes Clear Channel

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: bendy <bendy AT example.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Durham, NC: here comes Clear Channel
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 22:39:36 -0400

alex kostelnik wrote:

I have seen the unmitigated shit that happens to a local scene when
the corporations move in.

The city of Durham is proposing to build a 4,000 seat "Events
Center" and they are begging Clear Channel to come run it and sell six
dollar cokes and 15 dollar parking spaces. (That's how they make
their money managing midsize venues.)

I heard from a friend runs the concessions at Pittsburgh's midsized venue that the night Cher played, they sold over $100,000 in nachos.

Somehow, that's made me never want to eat nachos again. And my feelings for Cher's have been diminished.

At any rate, this is an ideal chance for Durmites to say something to city hall, and really make a difference in our cultural future, which is undeniably coming together after so many false starts.

I wrote 'em the other day, and if you take the time to write them personally, they take it seriously. Write the Herald-Sun, too, if you don't mind your opinion out in the open. They take that even more seriously.

And in my own experience dealing with local governments, it's almost always possible to get them to put off making a decision. That's the one opportunity they can't resist. So don't discourage yourself by saying that this is the eleventh hour. Believe me, we can affect this.

Bendy