ch-scene - Re: I'M PISSED! You with me?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: James Hepler <jameshepler AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: I'M PISSED! You with me?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 06:25:02 -0700 (PDT)

--- grady AT ibiblio.org wrote:
> Smallest ever, actually: $14.
>
> This year's the last year of Simple Taxes for me,
> though, as I finally
> own a house. At least I don't have any kids
> <shudder>.
>
> I don't pretend to understand withholding or how it
> works, but I do know
> that for whatever reason, my employer has always
> withheld "too little"
> and I've had no real desire to correct it, as it has
> fallen below the
> threshold for paying penalties, and I've preferred
> to pay now rather
> than paying all year long. But I recognize that I'm
> in the minority on that.

Yeah, if it were $14, sure! Last year I got several
hundred back, and this year I owe $900. And
seriously, other than getting a lower interest rate on
my home, nothing changed. It's mind numbifying.

> Obviously, as Rick! pointed out, employers can
> apparently do whatever
> the hell they want to, withholding-wise. Have you
> talked to the payroll
> people at yr workplace (or other coworkers) find out
> if maybe somebody
> misread something & over-adjusted yr withholding?

The only adjusting that took place was by congress.
When they passed the tax cut, everyone's withholding
went down based on their income, as determined by the
text of the tax cut bill.

And I can't say that this is a bad way to execute tax
relief. But it makes me wonder WHO got the tax
relief, because it wasn't the family of two making
some 50 G's per year. In fact, it appears we are
responsible for more than before.

> So did you actually pay more in taxes this year on
> the same adjusted
> gross income than last year? Do you still have last
> year's tax tables to
> compare?

I have yet to compare those numbers, as my current
return is in Aseboro of all places. I do know that my
itemized deductions were very close to last year as
was my income.

Regardless, everyone come out to Go! this Saturday.
Come help out a good friend who would read my gripes
about financial stress and laugh his ass off if it
didn't hurt so much to laugh.

Hep