cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Academics are not free either...

  • From: David M.Berry <d.berry AT sussex.ac.uk>
  • To: Stuart Yeates <stuart.yeates AT computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Academics are not free either...
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:26:52 +0100

Of course, and that is very good. But the default case is that the University owns the IP. Most academics assume that they can go off publishing papers, books, lecture notes and so on, often not realising that all these outputs are *technically* owned by the University. I would be interested in knowing how the US Universities handle this problem, as they are further down the IP route than us, but I have been talking to my University's IP spin-off company (yes! we have one) and they don't really know what they are planning to do and want maximum ownership in the first place so they can graciously grant permission, rather than the other way round... Not very conducive to a scholarly pursuit of knowledge... more committed to maximum revenue for the University...

There are some academics (and non-academics in academic
institutions) who are working on projects which require outputs to
be released under a particular licence (or class of licence) as a
condition of funding.

For example all projects funded by the JISC e-learning program [1]
are required to release the software as open source and the JISC
funded OSS Watch [2] releases all public outputs under the free
documentation licence.

In the majority of these cases the university is aware that these
are being released under open licences and is happy for that to happen.

[1] http://www.jisc.ac.uk/index.cfm?name=programme_edistributed
[2] http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/

cheers
stuart
--
Stuart Yeates stuart.yeates AT computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
OSS Watch http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/