cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Academics are not free either...

  • From: David M.Berry <d.berry AT sussex.ac.uk>
  • To: "Paul Harkins" <paul AT extrayardmusic.co.uk>
  • Cc: cc-uk <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Academics are not free either...
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 18:02:45 +0100

Actually this is completely untrue. Academics *technically* do not own the copyright to their own work as they are designated as employee's of the University, as I am sure you are all well aware, therefore the employer owns their intellectual property. The whole situation of academics copyright is little discussed or resolved in the UK and I expect this to be a flashpoint should the Universities decide to capitalise on IP beyond patents. My University, for instance, is very clear that it owns the IPR but has chosen not to enforce it on copyright... yet...

Therefore again *technically* releasing under a CC license without the permission of the employer (i.e. the owner of your academic work, the University) is illegal.

The University's are all now shifting their IPR policy and no doubt this will mean many academic freedoms will be curtailed or certainly challenged by these changes...

See http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/ccf.html

An interesting question is whether this CC license work that has been undertaken by academics within their work-time might have the unfortunate consequence of actually being owned by their respective University.

That would be very ironic.. ;-)

Maybe this a place for CC-UK to start a campaign? As I am sure that most academics do not realise that this is actually the case...

- David