cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] "El Reg" On CC Panel Discussion

  • From: "Paul Harkins" <paul AT extrayardmusic.co.uk>
  • To: "cc-uk" <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] "El Reg" On CC Panel Discussion
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 17:09:22 +0100

I'm not surprised by Emma Pike's remarks. She wrote a pretty disparaging and at times misinformed article about CC for the current issue of the PRS/MCPS members magazine. Its available here:

http://www.bmr.org/html/news/news53.htm

The thrust of Nevrkla's point about academia is valid though I think. Academics can happily use CC licenses for their work because they are salaried. Most songwriters and musicians on the other hand need to make a living from their work.

Like Neil though, I think (and hope) that CC licenses can form the basis of a business model and am trying to do just that with my own music publishing company. I was initially concerned that free culture equated to copyright anarchy but having listened to Lawrence Lessig and spoken to him at the launch of CC Scotland I know that this is not the case.

On the subject of PRS & MCPS, I worked for the organizations up until last summer so am happy to help with any advice about the mechanics of royalty collection and distribution. I don't have a great grasp of things like the articles of association but neither do many people who work there which is why you will get contradictory answers to questions depending on who you ask.

The way I see it though is that the two societies should be able to accommodate CC licenses because they license very little non-commercial use of music i.e. churches need a PRS license but most licensees will be businesses. The organization is very bureaucratic though and change may only occur if and when enough members demand or vote for it.

One problem I envisaged was the question of royalties for performances on the BBC. These are very important to a lot of members but are they commercial or non-commercial? Whilst not a commercial broadcaster as such surely songwriters and publishers should still be entitled to receive royalties for the use of their music on BBC television and radio programmes.

Best wishes.

Paul

t: 01592 560521
m: 07752 086309