cc-uk - RE: [Cc-uk] Academics are not free either...

  • From: "Hector MacQueen" <hector.macqueen AT ed.ac.uk>
  • To: "'David M. Berry'" <d.berry AT sussex.ac.uk>
  • Cc: 'Creative Commons UK' <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Cc-uk] Academics are not free either...
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 09:34:12 +0100

Interesting but actually rather absurd if it is translated into reality.
Does the University in every individual case assign the copyright to the
employee when s/he submits something for publication? Or is there some
general grant somewhere? In either case, does Sussex know that
copyright assignments have to be in writing to be eeffective, under CDPA
1988 s 90(3)? Or are all their employees publishing stuff without any
written assignment in breach of contract?

Hector

************************

Hector L MacQueen
Professor of Private Law
Director, AHRC Research Centre for Studies in Intellectual Property and
Technology Law
University of Edinburgh
Old College
South Bridge