cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] collecting societies and creative commons

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] collecting societies and creative commons
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:33:15 +0100

In the US licenses, section 3e of the SA and BY licenses specifically
excludes collecting rights.
The US NC license doesn't do this.

This makes sense as with SA you are getting "paid" in derived content and
with BY you are getting "paid" in reputation. With NC you are reserving the
right to commercial exploitation so you need your collecting rights unsullied.

For me the interesting thing (in the future) would be to get rights societies
policing correct use of CC content, either for a fee from licensors, for
sponsorship from donors, or for a cut from any settlements. This could be a
major growth area for the societies.

- Rob.