cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] collecting societies and creative commons

  • From: Cory Doctorow <doctorow AT craphound.com>
  • To: Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock AT okfn.org>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] collecting societies and creative commons
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:14:09 +0100

I think that that was Finland -- it wasn't that they forbade CC licensing, but rather insisted that any distribution, save through the author's website (i.e., not via P2P or other low-cost alternatives to hosting large audio files) would disqualify members from ALL rolayties. They've since abandoned that position (yay!).

WRT colelcting societies in the UK; there's nothing about CC that's inherently inimical to collecting societies. It's true that a CC licensed pool of material would be exempt from royalties in noncommercial contexts. This material doesn't displace revenue -- generally, noncommercial venues are exempt from collecting society fees anyway.

There IS a minority of commercial-use-permitted CC material that might displace some collecting-society material, but that's not a major problem. In most instances, we can imagine that a traditional collecting society venue (say, a pub or a concert hall) takes out its license not because no public domain material will be performed there, but because SOME non-PD material will be played there.

It's conceivable, I suppose, that someone might create a (commercial? noncommercial?) service aggregating CC-licensed material and creating a "radio station" for hairdressers, bars, and other venues that are now subject to a collective license offered for a lower cost than the license, but at that point, the collecting society is in the position of objecting to CC because it creates a competitive market in collective licenses; hardly a sympathetic argument!