cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] collecting societies and creative commons

  • From: Edward Barrow <edward AT copyweb.co.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] collecting societies and creative commons
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:34:03 +0100

On Thursday 21 October 2004 00:31, Bernard Hurley wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:09:59PM +0100, Edward Barrow wrote:
> > Points generally, not in relation to PRS or MCPS:
> >
> > - Assignment is sometimes desirable to give the acquiring party locus in
> > enforcement actions, in jurisdictions where only the copyright owner has
> > locus.
>
> This may be so, but I still don't see why the PRS requires members to
> assign the performance rights of ALL their works.

It is much easier to see why the grant to a collecting society should be
exhaustive of the repertoire than why it should be exclusive (as an
assignment is). A PRS licensee such as a hairdresser or restaurant needs a
simple, comprehensive, blanket licence without the exclusion of certain songs
by certain composers.

I suspect that the current PRS position is an historical relic; I am sure
that
were it being developed today where the internet offers so many opportunities
for self-publishing, rightsholders themselves would insist on
non-exclusivity. But this is conjecture.

--
Edward Barrow
Copyright Consultant