cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] collecting societies and creative commons

  • From: Bernard Hurley <bernard AT fong-hurley.org.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] collecting societies and creative commons
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:23:19 +0100

Hi,

I am a composer of what people call (somewhat paradoxically) "modern
classical" music. So most of my stuff is written scores, intended for live
performance. I am currently using GNU lilypond to digitise the texts of my
scores and I intend to publish them under an "Attribution Commercial
ShareAlike" CC licence on www.musique-libre.org.uk (wait a few weeks before
you look as there's nothing there yet). I am not a member of the Performing
Rights Society and I don't really care what their attitude is provided they
don't bother me! I don't want them or anyone else to collect royalties for
me. However a collegue who is a member tells me that he has checked that
membership bars him from publishing works under a CC licence, although I
don't know who he spoke to at the PRS.

The PRS web site says this about PRS membership:

======================== start =============================

The Membership Agreement, which when signed by you will only take effect if
your application for membership is successful, transfers to the Society the
ownership of your performing and film synchronisation rights. If you are in
any doubt as to the effect of the Agreement on your ability to deal with the
copyright in your works, you are advised to take legal advice before signing
it.

The legal transfer or assignment of the rights contained in the Agreement
will normally be for the territory of the World but you may be entitled to
exclude certain countries from the scope of the Society's administration of
your rights.

The Society's articles also permit applicants to exclude part(s) of the
performing right and/or film synchronisation right from the extent of the
transfer. A list of the permitted exclusions may be requested from the
Writer Admissions team on 020 7306 4805. Do not sign the Agreement if you
are intending to exclude any country and/or any part(s) of the performing
right and/or film synchronisation right from the extent of your assignment to
the Society.

The Society reserves the right to disclose certain information concerning any
of your registered compositions to authorised members using the Society's
Online Services Enquiry System and any associated e-mail or telephone enquiry
system(s).

Perhaps someone from the Creative Commons project could contact the PRS to
see if CC-licensed works could be made a "permitted exclusion". I somehow
doubt that they would do it. I think most "permitted exclusions" are things
like performance in a religious service.

Cheers

Bernard