cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Implementing the UK license

  • From: Nick Poole <nick AT mda.org.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Implementing the UK license
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:01:27 +0100

Dear All,

Please regard this as a tentative toe in the water for a new subscriber to
the list!

I have been following the development of the CC licensing framework with
interest
for some time, and am very pleased to see the development of a UK-specific
strain. I
have also been looking through the archive of previous postings.

My organisation, the mda (http://www.mda.org.uk) is a public-sector charity
working
with the UK museums community. Because we have a 'public good' purpose, and
one of our core functions is the publication and dissemination of
information, we
have already started to make use of the 'generic' CC licenses, specifically
the
Attribution-Noncommercial-Derivs 2.0 license.

I have two questions, which Id like to offer to the list for discussion:

1. Are the licenses actually legally binding on anyone, or would we need to
wait for
UK case law to demonstrate their that they are? I know that the principle is
release, rather than reserve, some rights, but what of those rights which are
still
reserved?

2. When the UK-specific variant becomes available, should we replace our
existing
non-specific licenses with UK ones? Would this make them any more or less
applicable, for example if we were to discover someone re-selling our
copyright
content on a commercial basis?

Apologies if these are typical newbie questions, but I'd be very interested
in your
thoughts.

Yours sincerely,

Nick Poole

Nick Poole
Director
Mda

The Spectrum Building
The Michael Young Centre
Purbeck Road
Cambridge
CB2 2PD

Telephone: 01223 415 760
Email: nick AT mda.org.uk
Website: http://www.mda.org.uk

  • [Cc-uk] Implementing the UK license, Nick Poole, 10/15/2004