cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Volunteer Network and Facebook: Call for Feedback

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Matt McGregor <Matt.McGregor AT royalsociety.org.nz>
  • To: 'Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion' <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Volunteer Network and Facebook: Call for Feedback
  • Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 20:26:14 +0000

Hi all,

Danyl, Paul and Leigh: points well taken. It's useful to have all the
objections to Facebook out in the open.

I've concluded that a) Facebook is not, on principle, a great fit for CCNZ;
and, b) it's a necessary tool for the moment. I'll play with the design later
on, and aim to go live mid-week.

Leigh said:

"The way I deal with this in online course development though, is to persist
with a central website where the information is posted, and to use things
like what Paul suggests to automate cross posting. Discussions then take
place in the various venues, so as facilitator I note key points raised and
periodically post them as new posts to the central site. Once a month or so,
I generate a summary or report, and that gets posted on the site, in email,
and snail-mail if necessary. Once a year, I compile a print-on-demand year
book, and get a copy into the libraries."

That sounds great. We'll see what kind of discussion takes place on FB, and
move from there. (Side-note: If they ever let me design my own course again,
I will adapt that idea (with attribution, naturally)).

Leigh also said:

"I'd like to add Wikipedia and the reheated projects to this thread though.
Does CCNZ run a Wikipedia communications channel? I would suggest that such a
presence would be equally important as a FB presence."

Yep, our roadmap is on the wiki: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/New_Zealand

Danyl raised the issue of a larger wiki presence several months ago. We don't
have a wiki on the main site, but there is a perfectly good wiki at CC
international that we can use. I actually think that the CC HQ wiki is
preferable, as there's no point replicating what they've already done--pages
on international case law, for instance, or on CC media--and we can add NZ
specific pages as required: http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Main_Page

Cheers,
Matt