cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Volunteer Network and Facebook: Call for Feedback

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Volunteer Network and Facebook: Call for Feedback
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 18:15:05 +1300

Kia ora koutou

On 6 December 2012 12:08, Matt McGregor
<Matt.McGregor AT royalsociety.org.nz> wrote:
>> I’ve been soliciting responses on and off-list about whether we should
>> have a Facebook account. <<

Matt and I discussed this when he was in Ōtepoti for the NetHui. As
you all know, I'm a staunch champion of federated social networking,
and I'm frustrated by the dominance the FB platform has in that space
(not to mention concerned about the likely outcomes for users when its
growth finally peaks, and its shareholders start demanding a financial
return on their investment). However, in the short term, it's where a
lot of people live online. If we can use it to bring people to the
website, to this list, and to our events, I think it's worth a
strategic compromise.

I suggested two things, based on our used of FB to promote Circulation
Festival:
* A community page: the only time Matt needs to visit this is to put
up a link to each new story as it gets added to CC.org.nz
* Events pages: one for each official CC ANZ event (meetups etc).
Again, the only time Matt needs to spend on this is when he sets up
the event page.

CC supporters who like to use FB can then populate both the community
page and events pages with their own discussions, questions and
answers, links etc to their hearts' content.

Matt, I would suggest that both community page and events pages
prominently display a link to the cc.org.nz contact page, and that you
only respond to correspondence sent through the means on that page.
That way you will you avoid spending lots of time sifting through
"private" message fluff sent through FB itself.

Ma te wā
Strypey

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407