cc-nz - Re: [Cc-nz] Volunteer Network and Facebook: Call for Feedback

cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion

  • From: Danyl Strype <strypey AT disintermedia.net.nz>
  • To: Creative Commons Aotearoa New Zealand discussion <cc-nz AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-nz] Volunteer Network and Facebook: Call for Feedback
  • Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 23:49:19 +1300

Kia ora koutou

On 8 December 2012 12:47, Sutherland, Paul <Paul.Sutherland AT ccc.govt.nz>
wrote:
>> There is no reason why CC Aoteoroa and CC_NZ licenses should not have a
>> Facebook presence. Surely it is really a matter of defining what the
>> personality of that presence should be, and the nature of the posts. <<

Since you've brought it up, there is at least one very good reason. CC
having a presence on FB could be seen as an endorsement of FB. There
are number of good reasons why I wouldn't want to be seen to be
endorsing FB, and plenty of CC supporters feel the same way. Some
common reasons:

* their constant reversal of privacy protections, requiring people to
regularly turn the settings on aspects of their account back to
'private' (if possible).
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/04/facebook-timeline

* The massive power of censorship that they have, and regularly use,
often without explicit reasons given, or any accountability
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/27/facebook-censors-picture-elbow-breast-boob_n_2198223.html

* The Sisyphusian task involved in deleting an account, and the
emotionally manipulative techniques the site uses in its attempts to
discourage you ("your friend X will miss you if you leave FB!")

My concerns go much deeper than these.

FB now hold a effective monopoly (like Windows 10 years ago), having
effectively privatized most people's online relationships on the basis
of an unsustainable loss leading business model, . When their growth
eventually peaks, they are likely to start monetizing those
relationships, erecting toll gates between people and their "friends",
or more likely between community pages and those who have joined or
"liked" them. The risk is that the effective monopoly they hold, and
the degree to which people's data and contact networks are locked-in,
could allow them to succeed at this in a way that no email service
(for example) ever could.

Some people would say that to use FB at all is to be an accessory to
its dubious practices, and that the only ethical use of FB is to
create "fire exits" which show people that there are other
non-proprietary spaces for online interaction, based on principles of
free association and open federation. I agree with them,

>> This list, and Facebook and any other presence should have some synergy <<

Yes, as we've said, a CC presence on FB should be used to funnel
people out of FB and into online spaces the community controls, not a
monopolistic corporation.

>> How about using a tool like IFTTT https://ifttt.com/wtf to automate some
>> of the posts... <<

An interesting idea. It would be great if there is a free code tool
which could automatically syndicate content posted to cc.org.nz, this
list, Twitter etc to a FB page, without any of us having to do
anything manually.

Ma te wā
Strypey

BTW If you are going to top-post, can you please trim the long chain
of past emails off the bottom? If the emails get too big, they get
stuck in the spamcatcher ;)

--
Danyl Strype
Community Developer

"Geeks are those who partake in our culture."
- .ISOcrates

"Uncomfortable alliances are not just necessary; they reflect and
speak to the tremendous possibility of our political moment."
- Harmony Goldberg and Joshua Kahn Russell
http://www.nationofchange.org/new-radical-alliances-new-era-1337004193

"Both Marxists and Chicago-school libertarian economists can agree
that free software is the best model."
- Keith C Curtis
http://keithcu.com/wordpress/?page_id=407