cc-metadata - Re: How about a META tag?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: How about a META tag?
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:03:32 -0800

Evan Prodromou wrote:
There's an entire standard for doing Dublin Core metadata in HTML
<link> and <meta> tags. No RDF necessary.

I know. I've read the relevant standardese.

Dublin Core (HINT: CC's metadata is a slight variation on DC) has a
whole slew of recommendations for encoding Dublin Core data, here:

I don't think that's quite right.

Some of CC's metadata (e.g., License characteristics -- permits, requires, prohibits) is outside the scope of DC.

We recommend use of much of DC off the shelf to descirbe licensed works.

There are a few unfortunate cases where our recommendation is a slight variation on, divergence from, or extension of standard DC usage -- cc:license, dc:rights, and cc:Agent.

Stu Weibel (DC) and Eric Miller (formerly DC, currently at W3C and a CC advisor) are apparently working on a proposal that I eagerly await to close these gaps.

Let me also point out that <link> tags and <meta> tags are not
single-purpose little fellows, in the HTML world. They're used for
CSS stylesheets, for navigation, for keywording, for all kinds of
stuff. The DC recommendation is a way to use them for marking up DC
data.

Sure. And you can do a straigtforward conversion of dc:rights and cc:license as used in CC RDF to DC-in-meta-tags. Which I think is the way to go if someone wants to specify that a page is under a CC license in meta tags. And of course you can use whatever other DC properties you want to in meta and link tags as appropriate.

Another way is just <link>'ing out to an RDF or other metadata
file.

That's the one that we mention at <http://creativecommons.org/technology/metadata/extend>.

Anyways, just want to make sure you grokked all that.

Grok might be too strong a word, but I do have some familiarity with all that. :-)