cc-metadata - Re: How about a META tag?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Andy Powell <a.powell AT ukoln.ac.uk>
  • To: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • Cc: cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: How about a META tag?
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 00:48:37 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Evan Prodromou wrote:

> ML> However, I welcome further ideas and discussion...
>
> My further idea would be that <meta> tags would work fine. I'd think
> that it'd be relatively easy to include the Dublin Core metadata
> encoding schema for HTML:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2731.txt
>
> ...and simply point the DC.Rights element at the appropriate license:

> lang="en"
> content="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/"; />

Yes, this is very much in line with the suggestion that I made here

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-metadata/2003-March/000097.html

(Note, the DCMI proposed recommendation for DC in XHTML (URL below)
recommends using DC.rights rather than DC.Rights as the value of the
name attribute).

> This is, after all, a recommended use of Dublin Core. The specific
> rights and prohibitions aren't encoded in the <meta> tags, but the
> DCMI term "accessRights" seems appropriate:

Note that dcterms:accessRights provides "information about who can access
the resource or an indication of its security status" and is therefore not
an appropriate place to put a CC licence (IMHO).

> http://www.dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/
>
> And there's a Working Draft for Dublin Core for adding terms:
>
> http://dublincore.org/documents/dcq-html/
>
> This is open for public comment right now; a statement from CC about
> what we needed would probably go into the final recommendation.

Yes, but if the requirement is as simple as

content="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/"; />

and/or

scheme="DCTERMS.URI"
content="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/"; />

then I don't think that anything needs adding. If people agree that this
use of the meta tag is useful, then it would be nice to add these to the
examples in that document - but I imagine that it is now pretty close to
closing the call for comments so I'll have to get my skates on! (I am the
author of that document BTW).

Andy
--
Distributed Systems, UKOLN, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/a.powell/ +44 1225 383933