cc-metadata - Re: How about a META tag?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Lucas Gonze <lgonze AT panix.com>
  • Cc: cc-metadata <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: How about a META tag?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:51:16 -0500

On Wednesday, Dec 3, 2003, at 14:38 America/New_York, Evan Prodromou wrote:
Oh, and: obviously, this would just be one more way to encode metadata
in HTML. It wouldn't necessarily replace the RDF, just be another way
of doing it. Instead of having folks do <link> and <meta> tags any old
way -- which they're probably going to end up doing, since not
everyone loves RDF -- it'd be better to specify how to do it, so
there's a recommendation for doing it uniformly.

I basically agree with Evan. I don't see the harm in a meta tag, and not having all that verbose RDF might bring people in who wouldn't do it otherwise.

It would also work to have a "link rel=" element pointing to a page of CC RDF, or even to have a registry of URLs released under a CC license but without an embedded claim in the HTML. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

- Lucas