cc-metadata - Re: How about a META tag?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc-metadata <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: How about a META tag?
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 15:08:15 -0800

Evan Prodromou wrote:
Oh, and: obviously, this would just be one more way to encode metadata
in HTML. It wouldn't necessarily replace the RDF, just be another way
of doing it. Instead of having folks do <link> and <meta> tags any old
way -- which they're probably going to end up doing, since not
everyone loves RDF -- it'd be better to specify how to do it, so
there's a recommendation for doing it uniformly.

Well, link tags don't avoid RDF, they just point to another URI which itself should contain RDF (of course link tags can point to anything, but for CC license metadata that would be RDF). I added a note about <meta> tags to

http://creativecommons.org/technology/metadata/extend#html

which already included a note about <link>.

Lucas Gonze wrote:
I basically agree with Evan. I don't see the harm in a meta tag, and not having all that verbose RDF might bring people in who wouldn't do it otherwise.

It would also work to have a "link rel=" element pointing to a page of CC RDF, or even to have a registry of URLs released under a CC license but without an embedded claim in the HTML. Let a thousand flowers bloom.

I like 1000 blooming flowers, not necessarily 1000 different data formats. But you and Evan are probably correct in that there's little harm in people who really want to use <meta> tags (or whatever) using them, and they may as well use their preferred vehicle in a "recommended" fashion, else you effectively have several thousand different data formats (given that you started with 1000). :-)

BTW, I just noticed <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2003Nov/0007.html>.

Summary: <http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/grokCC.xsl>, <link rel="xslt2rdf">'d in <http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/> produces CC RDF by looking for a plain old <a href=...> to a CC license in HTML. I find this a bit interesting -- rather than encouraging people to embed metadata, this general approach would work better (and thus encourage the process) as people build more semantic HTML, from which metadata may be extracted.