cc-metadata - Re: How about a META tag?

cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: discussion of the Creative Commons Metadata work

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: cc-metadata <cc-metadata AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: How about a META tag?
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2003 17:03:05 -0500

ML> Well, link tags don't avoid RDF, they just point to another
ML> URI which itself should contain RDF (of course link tags can
ML> point to anything, but for CC license metadata that would be
ML> RDF). I added a note about <meta> tags to

ML> http://creativecommons.org/technology/metadata/extend#html

ML> which already included a note about <link>.

I'm not sure you quite followed me, Mike.

There's an entire standard for doing Dublin Core metadata in HTML
<link> and <meta> tags. No RDF necessary.

Dublin Core (HINT: CC's metadata is a slight variation on DC) has a
whole slew of recommendations for encoding Dublin Core data, here:

http://www.dublincore.org/resources/expressions/

The one for encoding Dublin Core data in HTML is here:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2731.txt

It's dry and boring standardese, I know. But give it a good lookover!
It's worth a read.

Let me also point out that <link> tags and <meta> tags are not
single-purpose little fellows, in the HTML world. They're used for
CSS stylesheets, for navigation, for keywording, for all kinds of
stuff. The DC recommendation is a way to use them for marking up DC
data. Another way is just <link>'ing out to an RDF or other metadata
file.

Anyways, just want to make sure you grokked all that.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/