cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, invernomuto AT paranoici.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:40:57 -0400

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 1:28 PM, Francesco Poli
<invernomuto AT paranoici.org> wrote:
> Exactly, and I think the case of digital works is especially
> illuminating, since there's no source availability requirement in
> current CC-by-sa: as a consequence, one can distribute a
> CC-by-sa-licensed digital work in a format that really hampers
> modifications, without being compelled to make source code (== the
> preferred form for making modifications) available in parallel.

Can you? "You may not impose any effective technological measures on
the Work that restrict the ability of a recipient of the Work from You
to exercise the rights granted to that recipient under the terms of
the License."

Isn't compilation a technological measure that restricts the ability
of a recipient to exercise the right to create derivatives?