cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: David Chart <bydosa AT davidchart.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:43:28 +0900

On 2012/04/14, at 4:14, Rob Myers wrote:

> The only "you" who needs and will benefit from this power are DRM
> platform vendors.

This is not true. Creators who become able to distribute and sell to people
who own iPhones also benefit, as do the people who own the iPhones.

If we are using the licenses as a political tool against things of which we
disapprove, can I suggest adding a clause prohibiting distribution in
jurisdictions without strong legal protection of free speech? (China, North
Korea, Iran, most of the 'stans) This is a bigger problem than DRM. Why isn't
CC taking a strong stand?

If the license is not supposed to be a political tool in this way, I fail to
see how prohibiting a certain form of distribution increases anyone's
freedom. If you were allowed to distribute DRM-encumbered versions without a
parallel version, that would, obviously, be a problem. However, no-one is
suggesting that.

--
David Chart
http://www.davidchart.com/