cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Gunnar Wolf <gwolf AT gwolf.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 11:12:24 -0500

David Chart dijo [Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 06:42:03PM +0900]:

> I'm not sure "complication" is quite the right word, but if you made
> a derivative book and thought you could distribute your work
> commercially, discovering that you couldn't use any of the major
> online bookstores would be quite a shock.
>
> A blanket ban on using CC-BY-SA material on about half of the smart
> phones in operation might also puzzle people. (Maybe more; there
> might be some versions of Android with DRM as well.)
>
> I agree with Francesco on this point. You should be allowed to
> distribute with DRM if you also distribute an unprotected
> version. That way people do have the ability to make modifications,
> and you have the ability to distribute on any platform.

This clause can even cause me to break the law without noticing: If I
have a DRM-free version of a book and send it to my Kindle device via
the mail option Amazon gives me, the book will arrive back to me
DRM-encumbered. If I lend my physical Kindle to somebody, I would be
distributing a DRM-encumbered version of a book (for which there
presumably is a DRM-free version available).