cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 17:00:46 -0400

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org> wrote:
> Essentially, if we don't object to DRM we shouldn't object to copyright,
> as they are both legal restrictions on our ability to use a work *to the
> extent that we would otherwise be able to*. This is not a coherent
> position for ShareAlike.

First of all, surely one can support ShareAlike without objecting to
copyright.

Secondly, DRM is not a legal restriction. DRM is a technical
restriction. Yes, there are laws which govern circumvention of DRM,
but those laws are not the DRM itself.

Finally, CC-BY-SA deals with copyright laws by granting permission to
engage in the activities which are restricted by copyright laws. Why
shouldn't CC-BY-SA deal with DRM laws by granting permission to engage
in the activities which are restricted by DRM laws?