cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 20:14:35 +0100

On 04/13/2012 05:12 PM, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
>You should be allowed to
distribute with DRM if you also distribute an unprotected
version. That way people do have the ability to make modifications,
and you have the ability to distribute on any platform.

The only "you" who needs and will benefit from this power are DRM platform vendors.

Who are not helping individuals to modify *or* to distribute the work.

This clause can even cause me to break the law without noticing: If I
have a DRM-free version of a book and send it to my Kindle device via
the mail option Amazon gives me, the book will arrive back to me
DRM-encumbered. If I lend my physical Kindle to somebody, I would be
distributing a DRM-encumbered version of a book (for which there
presumably is a DRM-free version available).

Even if it was the case that the Kindle applied DRM to your personal copy of the ebook, you are not distributing it. So the TPM ban doesn't apply.

- Rob.