cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Francesco Poli <invernomuto AT paranoici.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:25:24 +0200

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:32:06 -0400 Gregory Maxwell wrote:

[...]
> If you create a Bluray version of my copylefted movie— adding a bunch
> of menus and navigation tools, then offering it up for sale, the fact
> that you've made available a 'decrypted' copy of it via some obscure
> website will do little for the freedom of the recipients of the Bluray
> disks you create— and nothing for me as a downsteam creator because
> the mandatory AACS DRM on bluray doesn't allow me to create modified
> versions.

Why do you say so?
Recipients can get the DRM-unencumbered copy in order to exercise their
freedom.
You can get the DRM-unencumbered copy in order to exercise your freedom
to further modify the work and so forth...

Of course the acceptable means of making an unencumbered version
available in parallel should be defined in the anti-DRM clause (please
compare with the GPL and the acceptable ways of making source
available).

But I really fail to see which freedoms would be hurt by an anti-DRM
clause which allowed the parallel distribution scenario.

--
http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
New GnuPG key, see the transition document!