cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Kuno Woudt <kuno AT frob.nl>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:21:45 -0500

Hello,

On 13/04/12 11:12, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
David Chart dijo [Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 06:42:03PM +0900]:

I'm not sure "complication" is quite the right word, but if you made
a derivative book and thought you could distribute your work
commercially, discovering that you couldn't use any of the major
online bookstores would be quite a shock.

A blanket ban on using CC-BY-SA material on about half of the smart
phones in operation might also puzzle people. (Maybe more; there
might be some versions of Android with DRM as well.)

I agree with Francesco on this point. You should be allowed to
distribute with DRM if you also distribute an unprotected
version. That way people do have the ability to make modifications,
and you have the ability to distribute on any platform.

This clause can even cause me to break the law without noticing: If I
have a DRM-free version of a book and send it to my Kindle device via
the mail option Amazon gives me, the book will arrive back to me
DRM-encumbered. If I lend my physical Kindle to somebody, I would be
distributing a DRM-encumbered version of a book (for which there
presumably is a DRM-free version available).

This is incorrect. When you send a document to your Kindle using
the "Personal Documents" feature the file as it arrives on your kindle
isn't altered by Amazon in any way. There are even books available
in the kindle store which are not encumbered with DRM, though sadly
Amazon makes it quite difficult to determine whether a book in their
store is encumbered on not before purchasing.

-- kuno.