cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 20:14:07 -0400

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:56 AM, David Chart <bydosa AT davidchart.com> wrote:
> It is no harder to copy and modify a DRM-protected version of a novel than
> a hardcopy novel. If the DRM
> can be legally circumvented, it may even be a lot easier.

Exactly. I don't see the benefit of any DRM clause more onerous than
a grant of permission to circumvent any DRM. For people who don't
want the DRM version, it only takes one person to circumvent the DRM
and release the unencrypted version. And then people have a choice.
They can use the DRM version, which might work in more devices, or
they can use the non-DRM version, which might be easier to modify and
redistribute.