cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Anthony <osm AT inbox.org>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>, ml AT gondwanaland.com
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] 912 emails about DRM
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 01:06:55 -0400

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Mike Linksvayer <ml AT gondwanaland.com> wrote:
> I suspect that anyone who has or will bother to participate in
> discussions about CC and DRM is a bitter opponent of DRM (I can say
> this with certainty about most of the participants so far). My guess
> is that the disagreement comes from not one or other set of people
> hating or misunderstanding freedom or accepting DRM, but from
> different estimations of the outcomes of different strategies.

I think the more important issue with the DRM prohibition is that it
complicates license compliance. Remixing a CC-BY or CC-BY-SA work
should be really simple and straightforward, especially in cases where
the number of authors is small (acknowledging lots of authors somewhat
inescapably complicates things - a reason I liked the original
Sharealike 1.0, which unfortunately has been deprecated).

Also, I find it strange that CC would take such a hard line against
DRM, while at the same time providing the unquestionably non-free NC
licenses.