cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab AT web.de>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 10:12:06 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2012, 12:02:05 schrieb drew Roberts:

> > > And if you never had latex yourself in the first place?
> >
> > Then you can get it in the same way as you are able to learn to paint.
>
> What?

You can download if for free and you can learn using it.

Latex is free software and available virtually everywhere, so not having it in
the first place means that you are too lazy to install it.

If you did not get the latex source in the first place (if that’s what you
mean), then the one who sent you the file under GPL made a license violation.

If you had no latex source to begin with, because you got the file under a
license without source code requirement, then you don’t have more rights than
the ones who get the file from you, so the symmetry of all contributors is
intact, which at least to me means that this would not be a license violation.

That’s then like sending a PNG and only using that for doing changes - which
is what the Wesnoth people do.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
A man in the streets faces a knife.
Two policemen are there it once. They raise a sign:

“Illegal Scene! Noone may watch this!”

The man gets robbed and stabbed and bleeds to death.
The police had to hold the sign.

…Welcome to Europe, citizen. Censorship is beautiful.

( http://draketo.de/stichwort/censorship )