cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Arne Babenhauserheide <arne_bab AT web.de>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:12:15 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 18. Januar 2012, 14:32:13 schrieb drew Roberts:
> No, you are missing the point here. The original author never had latex to
> begin with. Perhaps he wrote it out longhand with ink on foolscap paper and
> scanned it in. Or took a photo of it.

Then you are talking about a different thing. In that case, the preferred form
of modification naturally is not Latex, except if I create a PDF using latex.

You do not change a photograph by changing the physical object. You just
change the photograph.

> > The same thing happens if I find a GPL-licensed program written in,
> > say, Pascal, and I decide that I prefer to translate it into, say,
> > Python, before modifying it.

Then, if the translation does not happen automatically and you store patches,
the Pascal version is no source for your Python version, because the Python
version is the preferred form of making modifications.

It’s really not hard, if you look at it from a practical side.

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Konstruktive Kritik: