cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:10:44 +0000

On 11/01/12 17:53, Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> It's very difficult (and futile, I'd say) to argue if CC-BY-SA or GPL
> have the strongest copyleft mechanisms. They are meant for different
> purposes. But yes, I'll try to keep arguing to keep them legally
> combinable.

They are currently incompatible *in the sense used by the GPL* as both
are copyleft licenses and therefore require that derivative works /
adaptations be placed under exactly the same licence.

BY is also regarded as incompatible with the GPL by the FSF:

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ccby

although I'm not sure why. I assume it's because the degree of
attribution required is regarded as burdensome, like the original BSD
license.

- Rob.