cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2012 07:49:52 -0500

On Saturday 21 January 2012 04:12:06 Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 12. Januar 2012, 12:02:05 schrieb drew Roberts:

> > > Then you can get it in the same way as you are able to learn to paint.
> >
> > What?
>
> You can download if for free and you can learn using it.

I've got it. Tried mucking with it a few times. Found it got in the way of my
creative writing.

> Latex is free software and available virtually everywhere, so not having it
> in the first place means that you are too lazy to install it.
>
> If you did not get the latex source in the first place (if that’s what you
> mean), then the one who sent you the file under GPL made a license
> violation.

You are missing the point. I am the one who created the file in the first
place and it was with a program that does not produce latex.

Let's say I have just completed a 50,000 word plus novel as a part of the
NaNoWriMo challenge in the month of November, and I have been releasing it
BY-SA on a blog as I go. Something like this:

http://tingsnovelz.blogspot.com/

Let's say that by the time I am done with that I am burned out and am not
willing to make the effort to make latex source for the world. I would be
happy if someone volunteered to make it for everyone but I am moving on.

So what is the situation. My release is unacceptable source that can be used
by someone else as a source to make something that is then acceptable source?

> If you had no latex source to begin with, because you got the file under a

Again, I did not get a file. I made one.

> license without source code requirement, then you don’t have more rights
> than the ones who get the file from you, so the symmetry of all
> contributors is intact, which at least to me means that this would not be a
> license violation.

So if I get you right, the license would only require you give source at
least
as good as you got for everyone but the original author? Or?