cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 19:24:04 +0000

On 21/01/12 13:39, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 19. Januar 2012, 10:31:36 schrieb Ben Finney:
>>> If someone wants their art to be made part of a software program, and
>>> that program is gnu-gpl, then the art should be gnu gpl too.
>>
>> To the extent that we're talking about works covered by copyright, and
>> not physical objects, I agree.
>
> So you think that none of the existing cc by-sa works should be used in GPL-
> Programs

There is absolutely no problem with doing this at the moment.

> and no art which gets created for games should be licensed under cc
> by-sa?

The art isn't software, so it should be BY-SA.

This is a non-problem, except in so far as we wish to coerce software
developers into using the GPL as the price of using BY-SA artwork.

Which I'm not sure is ethical. Or tactically useful.

- Rob.