cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Francesco Poli <invernomuto AT paranoici.org>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Most important feature: GPL-compatibility
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:09:56 +0100

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 07:49:52 -0500 drew Roberts wrote:

[...]
> Let's say that by the time I am done with that I am burned out and am not
> willing to make the effort to make latex source for the world.

In this case, the actual source is *not* LaTeX code.
It's something else: the format *you* would prefer to make
modifications to your novel.

No one is forcing you to use LaTeX to write your novels, if you don't
want to.
Do you prefer editing them in a Wiki site?
Fine, the Wiki markup is the source code.
Do you prefer writing them with LibreOffice?
Fine, the ODT format (or whatever format you use when you save the
file, in order to be ready to make further modifications to it) is the
source code.
And so forth...

> I would be
> happy if someone volunteered to make it for everyone but I am moving on.

LaTeX is nice (this my own opinion), but no sane definition of source
mandates its use.

> So what is the situation. My release is unacceptable source that can be
> used
> by someone else as a source to make something that is then acceptable
> source?

No, everything's OK, as long as you make source available.
And source is the preferred form of the work for making modifications
to it.
Not necessarily LaTeX.
Source code *may* be LaTeX code in some situations, but in many other
ones source will be in some other form...

--
http://www.inventati.org/frx/frx-gpg-key-transition-2010.txt
New GnuPG key, see the transition document!