cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0 ?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London"<email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Development of Creative Commons licenses"<cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0 ?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:56:48 -0500

when the expiration date hit, the work would morph into CC-BY. It would not revert back to All Rights Reserved. I dont think that would even be legally possible. All the copies out in the world cease to CC-NC-ND and suddenly become ARR? How do you handle the existing copies in the wild? Tell people they cant use the work anymore? What if the work started out CC-SA and people started collaborating on it and adding to it and modifying it? If it reverted to ARR, then that would imply all those derivations would suddenly be infringing.

The expiration license could only become more free as time went on, not less. Otherwise it doesnt even make sense.

If the work starts out CC-ND-EXP2040, then on January 1, 2040, the work becomes CC-BY.

The only caveat I can see is CC-SA-EXP would have to specify that any derivative combined with other copyleft licenses would expire at whichever license has the later expiration year. The original work can always expire at the stated expiration date.  Derivatives would expire at the later date. If no expiration exists, it expires when the copyright term legally expires and the work enters the public domain.

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless