cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Parker Higgins <parkerhiggins AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 14:22:37 -0800

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Heather Morrison <hgmorris AT sfu.ca> wrote:
Thank you for this clarification, Gregor.

I think that what I mean to suggest is a limited time for the CC license, after which the item would go to the public domain rather than fall back into copyright.

These proposals remind me of an older, now-defunct CC tool called Founder's Copyright, which was limited to 14 years with a possible 14 year extension. Obviously that is no longer promoted, if it still even exists.

Mike, it looks like its earlier URL is now gone: http://www.creativecommons.org/projects/founderscopyright. I've found some press releases about it and such. Maybe talking about what didn't work with timed licenses would be illustrative in a discussion about implementing them now?

Thanks,
Parker

--
parker higgins
san francisco, ca

http://parkerhiggins.net

gmail / gchat: parkerhiggins AT gmail.com
twitter / identi.ca: @thisisparker
skype: thisisparker

please consider software freedom before reading this e-mail on a proprietary platform