cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 17:19:15 -0500

On Thursday 22 December 2011 13:05:43 Heather Morrison wrote:
> Thank you for this clarification, Gregor.
>
> I think that what I mean to suggest is a limited time for the CC license,
> after which the item would go to the public domain rather than fall back
> into copyright.

The work can't "fall back into" ARR copyrights status as the cc licenses
don't
expire. (That's how I read it at least.) You could set a time limit for one
license to move to another though.

So, BY-NC10-SA could for instance have the NC dropped after 10 years and then
be licensed under BY-SA (as well) from there on.

> Thoughts on the feasibilty of this appreciated.

Again, personally, I would always move to BY-SA as the final offering until
copyright laws get better. (No jail time, copyright notice requirements, no
statutory damages, etc.) That is I would recommend this for those determined
to play this game.

One could get really fancy and go the other way. Allow someone to take an
adaptation (or other BY-SA covered/controlled work) of a BY-SA work to
BY-NC-SA for 5 years. E.G. Say I wrote the lyric and music for a song and put
it under such a fancy BY-SA license. It would let someone cover the work
under a BY-NC-SA license what was forced to go BY-SA in 5 years. My call in
putting the special BY-SA license on the original lyric and music. I don't
think this is a smart idea either but if we are discussing possibilities in
the area.

Another trigger other than time could be revenue. BY-NC$5,000-SA where the NC
drops and becomes BY-SA once I earn $5,000.00 in revenue from the work. (I
would say profit but we know how many hits lose money. ~;-)