cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.hagedorn AT gmail.com>
  • To: Development of Creative Commons licenses <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Time limited CC licenses for version 4.0?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 18:25:00 +0100

> make this an option for new licenses? If time limiting is used, I
> would like to suggest that this be extended to all types of licenses,
> not just NC.

The idea is to apply it to the condition, not the license. Limiting
the license would fall back to standard copyright = no publicly
licensed re-use.

But yes, it could be offered to all 4 conditions. I don't see a
time-limited BY particularly useful, but a time-limited ND may be
useful, and perhaps a time-limited Share-Alike would be.

My reservation with that is, that I actually believe each of the time
limited licenses should have a real URL, deed, contract, etc. Perhaps
CC drops the distinction between NC-non-SA and NC-SA-licenses (which
is very confusing, since the conditions must be fullfilled, even by
means of other licenses). This would mean, for a time-limited NC
license offered with a maximum term of 25 years, CC would add 15
additional URLs (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020, 2022, 2024,
2026, 2028, 2030, 2032, 2034, 2036).

I would propose for the Version 4 to explore this only for the NC
condition, perhaps as a pilot.

Gregor