cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA Compatibility Language Too

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA Compatibility Language Too
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:43:33 -0500

On Monday 12 February 2007 07:15 pm, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 18:00 -0500, drew Roberts wrote:
> > I am almost there myself, more because I have asked here on the lists
> > over and repeatedly for CC to consider the creation of a Free CC
> > logo/banner so that those of us who want to promote Free works can do so
> > without giving a tcit stamp of approval to no-free works or furthering
> > confusion between the two. there has never been a response. Even to point
> > me to a better place / way to make such a request. This does not go
> > towards gaining / maintaining my confidence in CC.
> >
> > I am still here and participating in as helpful way as I can and still
> > creting works which I am putting under BY-SA, but I do feel CC could do
> > better in this area.
>
> You do realize that (a) CC now offers license buttons that distinguish
> each license and

Yes, but I have called for a meta button as it were that would over By and
BY-SA by my reconing.

> (b) Debian nor any other credible organization has
> declared any CC license free/libre (though I certainly hope they will),
> so wouldn't it be a little presumptuous for CC to act as if they had?

I am not sure why it would be presumptious. If CC were indeed designing BY
and
BY-SA to be Free. I mean, I am not totally up on history, but did Debian seek
and does Debian continue to seek the FSF's approval / blessing of their
guidelines?

Does debain maintain that By and BY-SA are non-free or just DFSG
incompatible?
The FSF sayd the original BSD is Free but not GPL compatible IIRC. Yes:

http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

If they think BY and BY-SA are non-Free, can you tell us why?

(da idea man)