cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA Compatibility Language Too

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Javier Candeira <javier AT candeira.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA Compatibility Language Too
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:34:43 +0100

rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> Under GPL-3, the BY license of Elephants Dream might be compatible with
> the GPL
> and so the source files could be included without any worry.

I hadn't considered this. How does GPL-3 make the BY license compatible?

And since I am on it, does anyone know which changes in the CC v3 licenses
make them compatible with the Debian Free Software Guidelines?

>> In most cases, there is no problem with the existing licenses. A game
>> engine's copyleft license does not affect the content it plays, nor does
>> the sharealike content license affect the engine used to play it.

Nobody says that. What we say is that the game *is* the content, not the
engine. So we would like to have completely modifiable games, not just games
whose engine can be modified.

This may be Offtopic, so count this as a placeholder for a debate, maybe to
be held in another venue. You can run a non-free python program on the free
Python interpreter, and you can play a non-free game on the free game
engine, but the user is better served if her programas and her games are free.

Back on the topic. That CC-by and CC-by-sa are compatible with the GPL and
free-enough-for-Debian is, however, a full solution to all my (real or
perceived) quibbles on this matter.

Thanks for the hard clarification work,

-- javier