cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA CompatibilityLanguage Too

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Version 3.0 -- It's Happening & With BY-SA CompatibilityLanguage Too
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:35:40 -0500

On Monday 12 February 2007 07:24 pm, tomislav medak wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:
> >> However, there's a lot of "bad blood" between free software
> >> advocates and the CC, which stems primarily from CC's promotion of
> >> "non-commercial" licenses,
> >
> > I am almost there myself, more because I have asked here on the lists
> > over and repeatedly for CC to consider the creation of a Free CC
> > logo/banner so that those of us who want to promote Free works can do so
> > without giving a tcit stamp of approval to no-free works or furthering
> > confusion between the two. there has never been a response. Even to point
> > me to a better place / way to make such a request. This does not go
> > towards gaining / maintaining my confidence in CC.
>
> hey drew,
>
> sorry for getting into this minor matter in the license compatibility
> thread, but hasn't the concern of conflation of different licenses with
> different degrees of freedom been addressed with the new CC buttons that
> indicate what license is being used? this really does resolve the
> well-founded critique that came from the free software community.

No, not really unless I missed something. What is called for is a meta button
that would to me cover BY and BY-SA licenses. It would be nice if some
support "areas" were set up by CC for this as well. A Free CC list, etc.

Certainly, license specific icons are a big improvement over the generic
icons.

> tom

(da idea man)